What is Pain Management?
Pain is a symptom. To treat this symptom, an accurate diagnosis of what is causing the pain must first be made. Often, multiple diagnoses may occur. It is important that our patients at Consultants in Pain Medicine develop an understanding of their medical problem and the treatments called for in order for them to return to work and to their lives.
The goal of pain management is to eliminate or reduce your pain so that you can live a healthy, active, and productive lifestyle. To accomplish this we use a combination of interventional procedures and medicine to help patients manage and reduce pain caused by a variety of orthopedic conditions and injuries.
At Consultants in Pain Medicine in Southeast Georgia, a pain management specialist will conduct a detailed physical examination and review your medical history, noting any injuries or degenerative conditions that may be related to your pain. The doctor will then create a plan to not only control your pain, but find a solution that leads to lasting relief and healing.
Pain management goals for our patients include:
- Decrease the intensity of pain
- Understand and treat what’s causing the pain, not just the symptoms
- Improve sleep patterns and quality of life
- Use patient-directed therapies, which means highly individualized treatment
- Increase functionality and physical activity
- Empower patients to self-manage and reduce their pain
Types of Pain Treatments
At Consultants in Pain Medicine, we work to develop a pain treatment plan best suited to your condition and needs. Pain treatments can be one of two types, and we’ll often recommend a combination of interventional and medical treatments.
Interventional pain treatments are special procedures performed by physicians to help reduce your pain. Interventional pain treatments may include epidural injections, spinal cord stimulation, radiofrequency lesioning, and other treatments.
Medical management uses a controlled regimen of medication to help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with your condition.
How to Choose a Pain Management Doctor
Selecting the right pain management doctor for you is a very personal decision. When you’re looking for experts to help you eliminate or manage your pain, you’ll want to keep the following in mind:
- How well-informed is the doctor about your condition and possible treatments?
- What type of training and experience does the doctor have? (For example, is the doctor board certified in pain medicine?)
- How well does the doctor listen to your concerns?
- Does the doctor encourage you to ask questions and provide well-informed responses?
- How comfortable do you feel with the doctor and staff?
At Consultants in Pain Medicine, our physicians are board-certified specializing in pain management with many years of experience in their fields. They pride themselves on offering an early and accurate diagnosis of your pain along with a high quality of care, all in a caring and comfortable environment.
Consultants in Pain Medicine makes every effort to see patients as quickly as possible. Our office staff will be glad to assist you in making an appointment. Please call (912) 466-9111 Monday through Friday to make an appointment at any of our four locations in Southeast Georgia.